Monday, May 14, 2012

Blog 10 may 14(Monday)

Once I get this post published, I will officially be caught up! :) yay!!!
Today was a tiring day, I might say that about every day but today especially felt like it. We didn't even do much, except walk around and go to class. We met our teacher at 9:30 this am, although we thought he said 9. So we were all went to do our own thing while we waited for him. I went down to the water under the bridge and almost fell asleep. That was probably the warmest I felt all day. It was freezing today, and I forgot to grab my jacket. It was also super windy and there was a lot of dust and pillow flying through the air, we saw many people walking around with masks on. It got better by the afternoon. First we went into st. Cecilia's church. She was one of three major females who had churches named after them during the Christian period, her story was that she didn't want to convert back from christianit6, so they tried to kill her by suffocation (which failed), by beheading (which failed), and finally by throwing out a window (which worked) but she then became a martyr and when her grave was opens up in the 1600s, they found her lying on her side, with a golden cloak around her, so the church had lots of gold in it. After that, we took a walk along the river again, and especially on the little island on the middle, which houses the hospital. We then started the walk of replication for Aeneas, who was the mythological legend of the founding of Rome, we had to read the story for class. We started at Hercules alter which actually wasn't the real one, although we saw the pieces from the original in the church nearby. Our teacher talked a lot today about various elements from aeneas and such which are really interesting, if you want to hear them. Basically we saw the old and imperial forums from a different angle, more like one he would have seen when he entered the city. If he would have entered it during Virgil ( the writers) time. After the walk, we went to find food, and we had pizza at this little shop where slices were weighed for price, then class where we learned how to ask directions. Then we had to go out and actually ask people how to get someplace, which was difficult, because our school is housed in the tourist district, so all the people we asked were tourists, in the end we asked people in shops, and tried to convey the message that we didn't actually have to to go to the place we were trying to find. After class, Kate, Alex, and myself went shopping in the district around school. I bought a sweatshirt and bag From a souvinar shop, and got hit on by the store owner ;) he gave me 5€ off on both of my items, and Alex too, because she was with me, and all because I said I didn't have a boyfriend, ;) he gave me his business card and told me to come back :) I also got a few gifts for people, which I'm not gonna mention. Came back to apartment and made spagetti for dinner. And then relaxed/shared our technology. Tomorrow we are touring the catacombs! Yay! :) ok ttyl! Ciao! :)
Pic 1. Church near Hercules t
2. St. Cecilia church
3. Water view!

No comments:

Post a Comment